Carlsbad’s volleyball season came to an end following a loss to Hobbs on March 26. Bill Niemeier was named the new Cavegirls head coach less than a month before the season began, making an already unusual season even more difficult.
The Cavegirls didn’t have much time to bond, yet finished the season with more wins in fewer games than the 2019 team. Carlsbad finished the season with a 3-9 record and a 1-5 district record. In 2019 the Cavegirls went 2-17.
All 12 varsity players contributed throughout the season. Here’s who lead the team and how everyone finished the season.
Eckles may only be a sophomore but she’s established herself as one of the leaders of the team. The co-captain played in 40 of Carlsbad’s 41 sets and led the Cavegirls in kills (154), digs (102) and shared the team high service aces (27) with senior co-captain Harmony Lopez. She was second in assists (54), third in serves received (98) and fourth in blocked shots (15).
The senior co-captain was known for her assists. Out of the 271 team assists Lopez had nearly 71 percent of them to finish the season with 192. Like co-captain Gracie Eckles, Lopez also played in 40 of the team’s 41 sets and recorded 27 service aces. Lopez was fourth in digs (46), fifth in service returns (34) and had nine blocks. Lopez will continue her volleyball career at Regis College next year.
Leos played in 38 of Carlsbad’s 41 sets. The senior co-captain led the team with 254 serving receptions and was second on the team in kills (78), total blocks (22) and digs (91). Leos was fourth in both serving aces (13) and assists.
The freshman spent the majority of her time on the court in front of the net. Ojiaku led the Cavegirls with 37 total blocks, more than half of the team’s 73 blocks. Ojiaku finished the season with 11 kills, four digs, two assists and one service return.
Rest of the team
- 40 sets: 181 service returns, 85 digs, 14 service aces,
- 37 sets: 24 kills, 16 blocks, 6 digs, 5 service receptions, 2 assists
- 33 sets: 21 returns, 17 kills, 10 blocks, 7 service aces, 7 digs, 2 assists
- 26 sets: 17 kills, 14 service returns, 13 assists, 8 digs, 3 blocks
- 14 sets: 9 blocks, 8 kills, 6 digs, 4 service receptions, 3 service aces
- 12 sets: 41 service receptions, 17 digs, 4 service aces
- 8 sets: 14 service receptions, 7 digs, 4 kills, 1 service ace
- 6 sets: 17 service receptions, 2 digs
Matthew Asher can be reached at 575-628-5524, firstname.lastname@example.org or @Caveman_Masher on Twitter.