Carlsbad junior Nolan Perry threw the first no-hitter for the Cavemen this season in a 6-inning mercy-rule victory against the Goddard Rockets in Game 1 of Saturday’s double header, 10-0.
Perry struck out nine batters and walked five in his 106 pitches. The junior also had an impressive game in the batter’s box, going 3-for-3 with a triple, two singles and one RBI in addition to drawing a walk.
This is the first solo no-hitter Carlsbad has thrown since TJ Ruiz threw a seven-inning one against Clovis in 2019. Last year the duo of Maddux Edmonson and Mack Mabry threw a no-no against Ruidoso to open the season.
More:Carlsbad Cavemen run-rule Ruidoso Warriors in Caveman Classic Tournament
More:Carlsbad’s TJ Ruiz gets a 13K no-hitter to sweep Clovis
Carlsbad lost the second game of the doubleheader to Goddard, 6-2, ending the non-district portion of the regular season schedule. The Cavemen (6-2) begin district play June 2 at home against the Clovis Wildcats (3-3).
Cavemen wrestling heads to state
The Carlsbad wrestling team will send nine athletes, eight boys and one girl, to the state tournament this weekend in Rio Rancho after an impressive showing at the district wrestling meet on Friday in Roswell.
Seven Cavemen, Marcus Najera, Aiden Rodriguez, Dallad Dunn, Logan Romero, Matthew Najera, Trystan “TJ” Rogers and Jacob Fuentes all won the district title in their respective weight classes and got automatic bids to the state tournament. Luke Waters and Rosalia Rubio both finished in second place and did enough throughout the season to earn a wildcard spot in the state tournament. The New Mexico Activities Association will release the brackets Monday at 8 p.m.
Carlsbad 10, Goddard 0 (Game 1)
- Carlsbad: Nolan Perry (WP), 6 IP, 9 Ks, 5 BBs, (no-hitter), 3-3, 3B, RBI; Maddux Edmonson, 1-3, RBI; Ashton Whiteaker, 1-2, 2 BB; Kayden Bratcher, 2-4, RBI, 2 runs; Mack Mabry, 3-4, 2 3B, 3 RBIs, 1 run; Brandon Ganaway, 1-2, RBI, 1 run; Josh Carillo, 1-3, RBI; Jacob Echavarria, 1 BB, 1 run; Jeremyah Dominguez, 1 run; Zaccheus Marquez, 4 runs
Goddard 6, Carlsbad 2 (Game 2)
- Carlsbad: Maddux Edmonson (LP), 0.2 IP, 4 runs, 1 hit, 2 BBs, 1 K; Grant Harville, 1.1 IP, 1 run, 1 BB, 1 hit; Jacob Echavarria, 5 IP, 2 hits, 1 run, 1 BB, 4 Ks; Tristan Thomas, 1-4; Nolan Perry, 2-4, 2B, 1 run; Ashton Whiteaker, 1-4, 1 run; Brandon Ganaway, 1-4; Jacob Echavarria, 2-3
- 106 – Marcus Najera: def. Manny Slate (Hobbs) via fall at 2:41 (state qualifier)
- 113 – Aiden Rodriguez def. Jordan Palacios (Hobbs) via fall at 1:02 (state qualifier)
- 120 – Dallas Dunn def. Jordan McClellan (Hobbs) via fall at 0:44 (state qualifier)
- 126 – Logan Romero def. Jerry Romero (Roswell) via fall at 1:08 (state qualifier)
- 132 – Brayden Strickland (Hobbs) def. Luke Waters (CBad) via fall at 0:38 (wild-card state qualifier)
- 138 – Matthew Najera def. Kendall Herbst (Hobbs) via fall at 1:48 (state qualifier)
- 145 – Cameron Hernandez (Hobbs) def. Arturo Estrada (CBad) via fall at 5:13
- 152 – Zander Boughton (CBad), third place
- 170 – Trystan Rogers def. Gustavo Arreola (Roswell) via fall at 3:55 (state qualifier)
- 182 – Jacob Fuentes def. Cutter Cruz (Hobbs) via fall at 1:57 (state qualifier)
- 220 – Merced Rubio, third place
- Rosalia Rubio, 100 – 2nd place: Rubio (CBad) def. Patricia Garcia (Highland) via decision, 9-3; Alyssa Desillo (Las Cruces) def. Rubio via fall at 1:54 (wild-card state qualifier)
- Mya Nornejo, 120 – 4th place: Nornejo (CBad) def. Emma Ronga (Las Cruces) via fall at 3:07; Savanna Noriega (Deming) def. Cornejo via fall at 0:46; Lilyanna Griego (Bernalillo) def. Cornejo via fall at 5:00
- Imarii Orozco, 160: Ja’nay Banks (Hobbs) def. Orozco (CBad) via fall at 0:33; Amya Aguilera (Centennial) def. Orozsco via fall at 1:23
Matthew Asher can be reached at 575-628-5524, email@example.com or @Caveman_Masher on Twitter.